ART & dESIGN
Co-ordinator: Mrs N Semlyen
We intend that all pupils will:
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- Develop into active learners by promoting evaluation skills.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using Artistic language
- Develop a wide range of Art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- Learn about the work of a range of Artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
- Learn to evaluate their ideas and work, and the work of others, providing them with positive feedback using Artistic language.
- Create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- Improve their mastery of Art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- Develop interpersonal learning skills, such as speaking and listening, collaboration and compromise, and to experience taking different but equally valuable roles in group work.
- Be provided with a range of activities to develop the children’s capability and confidence in their own ideas by learning how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens.
- Develop a mastery over certain generic Artistic skills through repeated exposure to them.
- Read a variety of different books to promote over-learning and the development of pre-skills. Alongside this, children are encouraged to look at a variety of existing Art works from both past and present to develop a critical understanding of its impact on culture in the wider world to embed learning in the long-term memory.
- Enrich and support other areas of the curriculum.
- Build in memorable experiences to promote deep learning.