St.Anne’s Catholic Primary School
Sports Premium Funding 2017-2018
The government is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding has been provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
The aim of the funding is to:
- Increase participation rates in sport
- Provide competition school sports
- Ensure provision is inclusive, wide ranging and provides alternative sporting activities
- Ensure effective partnerships and links with other school and the local community
- Link sport with other areas of the curriculum
- Provide greater awareness about the dangers of activities that undermine pupils’ health.
Main Objectives for PE based on the School Improvement Plan:
This year, the school decided to spend the Government funding on continuing the high quality PE teaching provided by Premier Sport. Essentially, the company offer a broader range of curriculum activities for children to enjoy; work on individual confidence and competence, and support teacher CPD.
Our main aims this year:
- To develop assessment in PE across the school.
- To provide teachers with an online portal for planning, teaching and assessment to ensure effective teaching and learning. Launched by Premier Sport.
- To provide further opportunities for children to develop fitness, skill and enjoyment of Sport.
- To implement the Golden Mile Programme (to be carried forward to 2018/19)
In line with the school’s improvement plan, assessment has been a key focus this year. Premier Sport have provided teachers with a portal, through which they can access lesson plans, teaching ideas/activities and class assessments carried out by Premier Sport coaches. Teachers have had access to weekly lesson plans, which have ensured progression in teaching PE and consistency between the teaching of Premier Sport Coaches and our own teachers. We have also had online access to termly assessments of children, carried out by Premier Sport. These assessments show that all children have made steady and expected progress across the year.
Further Opportunities for fitness development.
Alongside the clubs offered by St. Anne’s, Premier Sport have held additional lunch time clubs, providing target groups of children with additional training for local competitions and increased physical activity. This has also helped reduce behaviour issues during lunchtimes.
Premier Sport have also approached the school to discuss the possibility of launching a Fitness Initiative for parents.
The Golden Mile programme is set to launch in 2018/9
The Sports Coaches at Premier Sport have dual responsibility to both pupils and teachers, to provide the highest quality of lessons. The PE manager, teachers and Headteacher of the school monitor the delivery and quality of lessons accordingly, to ensure that the National Curriculum expectations are met and that the children are thriving.
Supply (during Local Competitions, Festivals)
For further information regarding the Sports funding, please visit the following link: